
It's hard to believe I graduated college and finished my track career 12 years ago. And it's amazing how much has happened in those years. But one thing remains constant. The friends I made and the bonds that were built are some of the strongest I know and will last a lifetime.
I loved track. I loved BYU. I loved my coaches. And I especially loved my friends. At the end of my collegiate career, I jotted down a few thoughts that I found the other day. "On the long bus rides to Pocatello, or week long trips to Texas and Nationals, we had so much fun. It was amazing that so many talented girls with All-American titles and World Records would be on the team at the same time. And even more amazing is that we all got along and were friends off the track. Some days coach had a hard time getting us to practice because we were too wrapped up in conversation."
We truly were friends on and off the track. A miracle if you ask me with so many diverse personalities, backgrounds, and attitudes. Here's some fun pictures I scanned from my track scrapbook. Terrible quality, but awesome memories!
This looks like practice for the talent show held at Coach Poole's house December 1994. Wendy, Melinda, and Julie in their prime. :) Every Christmas he would hold a party at his house that would include dinner, a talent show, gift exchange, and a spiritual movie focusing on Christ's life. Very inspiring.

Willie Williams Invitational, AZ (March 1995) That would be Tiffany acting her crazy self and leaping into the picture behind the group. :)

Arizona State University Invite (March 1995) Yes, that's Tiffany again.

USC-UCLA-BYU (May 1995) Hanging out in the airport. Always a fun pastime.

Minnesota Invitational (January 1996) The weather was so cold, there was an ice sculpting competition going on while we were there. By far the coldest place I have been. I remember my inside nose hairs freezing. (Of course this was indoor season and we raced inside.)

Indoor WAC Championships (Feb 1997) Michelle, Me, and Kathy goofing off in the hall.

Someone gave me this photo in one of my energetic, optimistic moods that I was going to make a "track movie." That didn't happen. Maybe someday. I don't know where this is, but I'm pretty sure it's 1997.

UC Irvine Invite (March 1998). Beautiful weather! And usually around the time of finals at BYU so we got to take tests early and then go off to play. I mean, compete.

LSU Invitational (April 1998). We were treated to a crawfish fry by the Lousianna team after the meet. Quite the experience for a bunch of BYU girls...sucking head juice.

WAC Championships Outdoors, Houston, TX (May 1998).

Since graduation, we have tired to remain connected through small get togethers here and there. And even when miles separate us, we fill each other in on what's going on in so-an-so's life. We've gotten married, had babies together, struggled with infertility together, supported a few through Olympic competitions, and now stand back in amazement at how far we have grown and matured.
One of the first reunions was with a bunch of babies. They seem to come in waves. Of course at this stage, we have hopes and dreams that all will be run fast, jump far, leap high, and go the distance. Keplar (Tiffany's), William (Julie's), Audrey (Mine), Addie (Dawn's), and Skylar (Melinda's). This was February 2002.

We tried to get together if we knew an out-of-stater would be coming for a visit. In September 2005, we had an awesome turnout considering so many had moved out of Utah by this point. I remember the party was crazy with little kiddos, but manageable with the outdoors available.

We've had a few more reunions on the way, just not any pictures that I can find. (Does anyone have a picture of all the girls in Dawn's basement at the Christmas Dinner we did in 2007? It was after that party that Dawn, Melinda, and I decided no more kids and holidays. To roudy and we couldn't chat like we wanted! Summertime is the way to go.)
Well, with the convenience of Facebook, emails, and blogs, putting out an invite was less work and we haven't seen each other in a while...so July was the big month. It was so fun to see all who were able to make it. And we were sad missing those who could not. We hope to see you next time!

On an exciting note, our Coach, Craig Poole is retiring this year and was able to attend the event. He was truly an amazing coach. Of course, we like to think of ourselves as his favorite group, and unless I'm mistaken, our team placed the highest at nationals that it ever has. In 1998, we took 3rd at the NCAA's. Coach was a great father figure for many of us so far away from home and his coaching style had such a positive approach that everyone thrived under his direction. When we graduated, we made him a quilt with an action picture of each of us in our specialty and signed our autograph.

Coach has accepted an position to be the head Coach for the women's team at the Olympic Training Center in San Diego, CA. We wish him the best and know those women are lucky to have him.
No comments:
Post a Comment