Wednesday, September 8, 2010

SIMPLIFY????

I knew if the kids were to have any type of EXTRA-curricular life outside of school, we needed to get them enrolled and going before baby Fisher arrived. Quite understandably, my opinion of tax-driving and game attendance is not high on my list of things to do between the demands of two wee-little ones with early bedtimes. My brain says to SIMPLIFY, but I have a small bit of guilt since we have not done any extra activities for more than a year. With the combination of a newborn last year (Jake) and a demanding school schedule, we never signed up or made time. SOOOOO, I told the kids they could choose an activity to participate in, with some limitations. :)

Audrey started up gymnastics and is loving it. She took gymnastics when she was 3 and 4, but this is a whole new ball game. At a toddler level, it was fun and entertaining. At age 9, she's in an accelerated class teaching her fundamentals to get her to a competitive level. (Eeeek! This is where the limitations come in...she wants to go twice a week, and I'm not willing to commit to that, or competition in the near future!) Although I do enjoy watching her flip and split and tumble in the house, yard, or wherever she finds room! She wants to get better and seems to really enjoy the new skills she is acquiring. Audrey is also attending Achievement Days every other week before her gymnastics class.

Corbin and Drew are playing soccer. Their first sport of choice was baseball, but Drew was not old enough, and again, the limitations came into play. Life seems more manageable with the boys in the SAME sport with a similar schedule. The soccer games are always on Saturday at the same place, usually within an hour of each other. However, our juggling act is on Thursday nights when they both have practice at the same time in two locations 15 minutes apart from each other. I had hoped to turn carpooling over to Brandon, but looks like me and the babes will be attending practice as well with one of the boys. (As I type...my wheels are turning...maybe Brandon could drop Audrey off with Drew at his practice and then drive Corbin to his...oh wait, he wouldn't be back in time to pick up Drew and Audrey. Aaargh!)

I know my taxi-service, carpooling juggling act is just beginning. We don't even take music lessons right now and I still have two others who are not signed up for anything but spending time with mom! Corbin wants to join cub scouts, but I think we will wait until after soccer.

Here's Corbin as goalie for his first game of the season. He did pretty good once he got the concept that he could use his hands and pick the ball up before kicking it away.


And then Drew demonstrating his kicking skills as he takes the ball down the field and scores a goal. (Feel free to turn up the music and ignore Brandon shouting, "OTHER WAY!") Fortunately at three years old, they don't keep score. :) Drew's pretty fun to watch. He's aggresive and goes after the ball. He's even learned to use his feet more than his hands! We laughed at the first time he tried to get the ball in the goal. He bent down and pushed the ball in. :)

No comments: