Thursday, September 23, 2010

Lost Treasures

Ahhhh...mystery solved. Throughout the years, I have had to replace some valuable items because my dear sweet children have seen fit to throw them away. Cell phone, brand new retainers, shoes, clothes, silverware, whatever!

Well, my brain just made sense of this secret little past time. Lately I have been teaching Jake (15 months) to throw away trash. Dirty diapers, empty food packages, and all sorts of garbage. Then I pat him on the back and tell him what a good job he is doing to help pick things up. As I was reading emails at my desk today, he was playing with my mini I-pod, pushing the buttons for fun. I picked up a dirty napkin on the floor and threw it in the trash. He quickly threw away my I-pod and looked up at me expecting approval.

That's all. Kid's just want approval. Acceptance. Love. The funny thing is, as I am typing, Yo Gabba Gabba is playing on the T.V. singing the song, "Clean it up, clean it up, pick up the trash now. Clean it up, clean it up, pick up the food now!"

HAHA! They are getting messages from various sources to help clean up. What I want to know is how you break the double standard? A 15 month old cannot decipher the difference between garbage and treasures. And as hard as I try to keep things picked up, "treasures" seem to find their way into toddler-sized hands quicker than I can blink!

Now, where's the song that sings, "Do not touch, Do not touch, White rolls are NO-NO's! Do not touch, Do not touch, Pee water's gross YO! (Every week, about 4-5 toilet paper rolls are lost through the adventures of Jake.) Must be pretty fun to unroll. Or dunk, or shred...dry or wet! Jake seems to never grow bored of this game.

1 comment:

JRC said...

Haha, at least its your 15 month old who likes to unroll them. He doesn't quite understand. Mine does it because he does understand. A trick I picked up on potty training websites is to smash your toilet paper roll so it doesn't roll off so easily.