
This year was our first in our 10 years of married life that we spent Christmas eve and morning on our own. Brandon won't admit it to anyone else, but we both enjoyed just our little family. Getting the kids to bed was easier, as was crowd control in the morning. Plus, it was fun to enjoy each of the kids and their excitement at the pace they were setting. Being far from our own parents and families, somehow we lucked out to be included with Jared and Janet and theirs for a few holiday festivities. Last minute preparations was more than I could handle and Janet saved us by feeding us every night the week of Christmas and even Christmas morning. I had grand plans for a fancy dinner for the kids, but never found the time amongst all the chaos. I've decided I'm going to have to reschedule that event for a year when I do not have a newborn or toddler.
At the onset of the school break, we sat down as a family and wrote a list of what we wanted to do, creating traditions along the way. I got so caught up in marking items off the list, I haven't had time to relax. I don't know what possessed me to think we had to get everything done in one week before we hit the road to make our rounds to the families in Utah and Idaho. I didn't comprehend we could continue with activities while visiting family. Needless to say, I'm worn out and next year RELAXING will be on the list. :) But for this year, this was the list. Skiing, looking at Christmas lights, making cookies/candy, neighbor gifts, movie at the theatre, late night movie at home, ice skating, write down testimonies, read Christmas Stories, secret basket, give gift to Santa to give to another boy/girl, and fancy dinner.
Here's some photos of the season. The Sunday before Christmas we were miraculously ready in time to take pictures before church.

When Christmas morning came, Drew was up at 1:30 AM. He got stuck in between his and Corbin's beds and was crying he had to go potty. After that he was in our bed. Most nights either he or Corbin or both end up in our bed. So it was no surprise that Corbin was next at 4:00 AM. Problem was once he remembered it was Christmas and found all of Santa's goodies in the family room, he was WIDE AWAKE. We forced him back asleep - in our bed - and tolerated the wakings again at 5:00 and 5:30, asking if it was time yet. At 6:00 the boys were finally asleep and Brandon's alarm went off. I about kicked him! (Of course Brandon slept through all the night wakings.) However, Jake woke within minutes of the alarm and so the day started.
The kids had a blast playing with everything Santa brought them. Audrey couldn't believe Santa got her a bunkbed for her American Girl. It even has a closet to hang up clothes at the end. Which of course was full by the end of the day.

Corbin was less enthused with the big shiny bike as he was with the remote control helicopter. Apparently Santa brought him one last year at grandma's house and it broke. The week of Christmas he happened to find the remote control and it had a phone number on the back. He propped it up to the phone base and dialed the number against his mother's wishes. Brandon had told him that was the phone number to Santa's workshop. I don't even know what the recording said. But Corbin could hardly believe Santa had brought him another one. His phone call must have worked.

Drew spent all morning on his new roller coaster. Everyone learned real fast not to get in the path of the Drewster. After a little while he grew bored of the seated car and maneuvered his new Spiderman scooter on top of the track. Funny thing was until he learned to balance, he ride only a few feet and then bail, throwing the scooter to one side while he jumped off the other.


Finally, it was no surprise that Jake's favorite Christmas gift was wrapping paper. The noise, the texture, the taste...he just couldn't get enough of it.

1 comment:
My kids would die for that ramp! We love having our own Christmas! This is our 2nd year and I hope it continues!
Post a Comment