So, I wasn't really going to post this story, since it follows in the wake of Drew's trauma, but it's kind of funny (once you get past sad). I realize I am setting myself up for criticism and throwing in the towel at any chance I had going for mother-of-the year, but seriously, I truly care about my children's well-being and safety. I got a fence and dead-boldt on the door didn't I? A kid can't be cooped up watching Wow-Wow Wubbzy 24/7. And believe you-me, if Drew's plate was kept replenished, he would stare at the T.V. all day long.
Now, after the event I am about to disclose, I asked myself, "Why do I let Drew have the freedom he does? I never would have let Audrey get into trouble like Drew." And then I had a few flashbacks...Audrey got a trampoline at age 2 and would jump from the trampoline to the ground, she would disappear with Grace (friend next door only six months her senior) and have a grand 'old time. I would catch her painting the shutters in the kitchen, pooping in my closet under all the hanging clothes, drawing on walls, flipping, and climbing wherever she went. I started her in gymnastics at 2 1/2 when the age requirement was 3. She kept up just fine and had agility mastered. She took advantage of "unsupervised" time while I did who knows what. So I question, what is the difference between my two fearless children? I guess Audrey felt confident in her abilities and really had her physical self mastered. Grace was no dummy. She would watch Audrey do daredevil tricks and not fall for it one bit. Drew on the other hand is trying to keep up with a 7 1/2 year old sister and a 5 year old brother and doesn't give a second thought to his own safety. His motto seems to be, "If they can do it, then why can't I?" He doesn't even comprehend, "THEY HAVE YEARS EXPERIENCE ON ME!!!"
Well, a couple days ago I was inside in my office with the backdoor open while the kids were playing outside. I could hear them running and playing and pretty soon Corbin comes inside followed by Audrey. Corbin explains "Mom, our garden is growing!" I had to laugh, because I haven't planted a garden since moving to Grand Junciton and couldn't imagine what he was talking about. Audrey then gave me some cute weed flowers they had picked in the dirt field behind our house. They had climbed the rock wall at the back of the yard, ducked through the fence and then started exploring the open expanse. They told me of the red ants they had found and were poking at the huge hill with a stick. Not two seconds later I could hear Drew screaming. He had followed them up the rock wall, through the fence, and was standing directly on the ant hill. I ran outside without shoes and tried to jump the rock wall. Forgetting that I was 8 months pregnant, I failed at my first attempt. So the second time I sucked in and jumped harder. I made it up and only peed my pants a little bit. :) I crossed the rocks in my bare feet and then leaned over the fence reaching out to Drew. He was immobilized by fear and would not move one inch towards me. It was so sad!!! He had ants everywhere. All over his shoes, pants, shirt. Ick!!! Shy of climbing over the fence and walking on stickers and red ants without shoes, I hoisted Corbin over to retrieve the panic-stricken toddler. I was screaming at Corbin to pick Drew up but he was just as scared and wasn't doing anything. Finally when I was angry and yelling at Corbin to do what I was asking, he pushed Drew towards me.
I brushed off the ants and stripped Drew's clothes - diaper and all. I look up just in time to see the neighbor wrapping a towel around her body, leaving the peace and quiet she was probably enjoying poolside before our little incident. Great...we've had a few interactions, but I'm sure the "frantic screaming pregnant lady who has rowdy kids" is the impression that will stay with her.
I didn't find any ant bites on Drew but I didn't really know what I was looking for. I don't imagine he would have been screaming if they hadn't bit him, but he looks fine. Strong kid. I will say this for his learning curve...he will not let Audrey or Corbin take him off the trampoline since the cement face plant. I hope now he won't climb the rock wall and through the fence. Tough lessons. But hey, at least we know he's one of ours - no one can tell him what or how to do something. He has to learn it himself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Your family is such comic relief for me! (I'm sure that's what you wanted to hear.) At least he is learning from his experiences. He's a smart kid :)
Mom and I were reading this together laughing our heads off! Poor little Drew...but what a crack up he has turned out to be!
O.k. my favorite part, "I only peed my pants a little bit." That is sooo good and miraculous. I'm impressed, and have to admit I laughed out loud. Fenn's been puking since 4 a.m. got to go. Mel
Dixie-
I just posted something on my blog I thought you might appreciate, so I looked up your e-mail on facebook and saw that you had a blog too. I'm so glad I found it. Adorable family!
Post a Comment