Sunday, March 27, 2011

These Strawberries are NOT NORMAL!

We have gradually made changes over the last couple years to eat "better." By that I mean buying products that are healthier because they are either organic, or have less hormones, or less sugar. Some of the family appreciates the changes, some do not. I KNOW all of their bodies are thanking me for it, but "sigh" once they figure out their agency and go behind my back (does that sound like I'm controlling), it's up to them. :)

We have friends that we buy farm eggs from, purchase organic cow's milk, get raw goat's milk for the little boys, beef from another friend who grain feeds their cows, agave syrup instead of Mrs. Butter's worth, flaxseed granola instead of sugary cereal, turkey products vs. pork, and we try to grow a garden for fresh produce when we can. I've even started to make wheat bread on occasion, grinding the wheat first.

So you would have thought I would have been alarmed by the strawberries I bought the other day. Nope. Just looked at the pretty red color, noticed they were large, thought the price was good, and bought them. I included a normal-sized "little cutie" for comparison.

Now, my kids LOVELOVELOVE berries, so I usually have some variety on hand. (Here's another control issue....) I have to place them high in the fridge and limit Drew because he will eat them all before anyone else has had any. It's not uncommon for me to come downstairs in the morning before breakfast and see him with red all over his face and an empty raspberry container. Or him and Jake having a hayday with the blueberries on the family room floor. I love berries too. But I know how expensive they are so I try to ration them for all family members over at least a couple days! :) Guess I better plant some berry bushes.

ANYWAY, it may be time to go with the organic fruit. These babies looked like they are hyped up on steroids and bigger is not always better. Especially when they are sprouting fingers.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think that is great how you are making small changes. I am trying to do the same. One thing I do is buy frozen berries. The kids will eat them right out of the bag(especially blueberries), even if they aren't thawed. And, the best part, you can get them at Sam's Club for fairly cheap. Then you won't feel bad when they eat them by the handfuls!